Get similar jobs by email Register →
|Job Title||Cancer Information Services Nurse, St Vincent’s University Hospital|
|Job Advertised||about 3 years ago|
Department: Cancer Information and Support
Reporting to: Daffodil Centre Manager, Irish Cancer Society & Assistant Director of Nursing – Cancer Services, St Vincent’s University Hospital
Hours of work Full Time, Fixed Term Contract (Maternity leave cover)
Location: Daffodil Centre (Cancer Information Centre) St Vincent’s University Hospital
Key Relationships: Irish Cancer Society:
Daffodil Centre Manager/Cancer Information Service and Support /Cancer Prevention
Assistant Director of Nursing – Cancer Services
The Irish Cancer Society is the leading provider of cancer information in Ireland. Its Cancer Information Service offers advice, information and support to anyone worried about any aspect of cancer prevention, early detection, diagnosis, treatment and care. In order to provide more accessible information while building on our experience, a new initiative is being developed that will see Daffodil Centres – Cancer Information Centres in general hospitals in Ireland.
This hospital-based service has the potential to transform the patient experience in relation to cancer information. It will help to address the information needs of those concerned about cancer within the hospital, through listening, providing information, advice and support. Not only will it involve cancer patients, but family members and the general public as well. The range of free advice, information and support will be broad-based, ranging from:
- cancer prevention and early detection
- cancer treatments and related side-effects
- palliative care services
- support and psychological care
- practical entitlements and services available.
This service is an outreach/extension of the Cancer Information Service in the Irish Cancer Society and as such will hold strong links to it. The Cancer Information Service Nurse will be linked with the multidisciplinary clinical team responsible for the care of cancer patients, both within the hospital and local community. Trained volunteers will play a crucial role in assisting the Cancer Information Service Nurse running the centre.
While the post-holder will be an employee of the Irish Cancer Society he/she will work in the Daffodil Centre located in the hospital. It is critical that the Cancer Information Service Nurse must adhere to general conditions as outlined by the hospital in relation to Health and Safety, Infection Control, Dress Code and adhere to guidelines/requirements in relation to Risk Management, Hygiene Services and Health & Safety. (Full details will be provided upon commencement of employment.)
The post-holder will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Daffodil Centre and provide clear and accessible information on any cancer-related issue the client presents with, offer appropriate support and signpost people to other sources of information and support, where necessary. The Nurse will be responsible for the management of the Daffodil Centre volunteers.
The Cancer Information Service Nurse is also responsible for the promotion and continuous development of the service and for raising awareness of its availability, both within the hospital and in the local community.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Management of Daffodil Centre
- Provide comprehensive cancer information, advice and support to patients, carers, the general public and healthcare professionals. Answering queries about all aspects of cancer (face-to-face, telephone, email and written).
- Refer clients as appropriate to services within the hospital or elsewhere in line with operational policies of the hospital.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures of both the hospital and the Daffodil Centre.
- Work with managers in both the hospital and the Irish Cancer Society to develop and manage the Daffodil Centre, ensuring that it is providing easily accessible and high-quality professional service.
- Avail of all opportunities to provide cancer information to the patients, general public and health care professionals both within the hospital and in the community.
- Maintain good working relationships with nurses, consultants and other clinical staff involved in the delivery of cancer care within the hospital.
- Develop and maintain close links with the Cancer Information Service at the Irish Cancer Society and avail of the resources available for information on any aspect of cancer.
- Recommend, implement and evaluate new initiatives to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the service ensuring the maintenance of high quality standards.
- Develop and implement operational policies with due regard to those of the hospital and the Irish Cancer Society’s Cancer Information Service.
- Maintain a comprehensive resource of high-quality up-to-date, relevant information, encompassing all aspects of cancer, care and support.
- Be responsible for maintaining stock levels of up-to-date, high-quality information materials, including Irish Cancer Society materials (booklets/factsheets), which will be displayed in the Daffodil Centre.
- Participate in risk management as appropriate.
- Comply with hospital/Irish Cancer Society complaints procedure, monitor complaints and provide feedback to managers.
- Comply with Hygiene and Infection control standards in the hospital.
- In conjunction with the hospital volunteer programme manage volunteers assigned to the Daffodil Centre, ensuring that they are available and maintain a presence, keeping the centre open at the designated times.
- Provide additional training, in conjunction with the Irish Cancer Society, to volunteers in preparation for working in the centre and ensure that they receive the necessary ongoing training and debriefing.
- Ensure that all those working in the Daffodil Centre adhere to the standards of good practice outlined by the Irish Cancer Society and St Vincent’s University Hospital.
- Report any concerns regarding volunteers to the Daffodil Centre Manager.
Evaluation and Audit
- Maintain a database of all enquiries relating to visitors/callers to the centre, and communicate to hospital/Irish Cancer Society management.
- Participate in audit/evaluation of the centre and evaluate service delivery. Identify areas for change/improvement.
- Submit a monthly report to relevant stakeholders, detailing the activities of the centre, including statistics on the number and demographics of patients/clients seen, number of telephone/email enquiries and satisfaction with service provided.
Communication and Promotion of the Centre
- Work closely with cancer services at the hospital to ensure that services provided in the Daffodil Centre are complementary to those of the hospital.
- Work closely with local self-help and support groups, and local cancer support centres/services.
- Utilise relevant experience and knowledge of St Vincent’s University Hospital, the HSE and external agencies to maximum potential in outreach activities, promotion and continued development of the service. Develop links with key people and services across the region covered by the hospital.
- Ensure wide distribution of the Cancer Information Centre publicity materials and that details of it are included in all local directories that detail cancer services.
- Collaborate with local Irish Cancer Society fundraising activities and work with fundraising team as appropriate.
- Take part in media relations activity on behalf of the Irish Cancer Society.
- Maintain a knowledge base on developments in cancer care and of resources/services for cancer patients, particularly in the catchment area.
- Attend relevant courses/workshops/conferences as appropriate to maintain own knowledge and awareness of cancer and related issues. Participate in the Irish Cancer Society Journal club by teleconference.
- Be aware of St Vincent’s University Hospital/Irish Cancer Society and other campaigns events, which may lead to an increased number of enquires on a specific issue.
- The list of duties in this job description is not exhaustive and is intended to outline the main activities of the post holder. Duties and responsibilities may be subject to change taking into account the development needs of the service.
- Registered General Nurse
- Post registration qualification in cancer nursing (minimum of diploma level qualification)
- Three years recent experience in cancer nursing
- The clinical, managerial and administrative capacity to properly discharge the functions of the role
- Excellent communication skills with a demonstrated interest in this area
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Team player with ability to work independently as required
- Diplomatic and tactful with the ability to build and maintain relationships
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office)
- Demonstrated evidence of continuing professional development at the appropriate level
HOW TO APPLY: If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply here with a cover letter including current remuneration package
The Irish Cancer Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Share this Job:
Sorry, this job post it's no longer available
- Oncology Nurse - Maternity Leave Cover
Dublin City Centre-North
Our client, an Hospital and Voluntary Organisation that provides support for oncology patients and their families, requires an Oncology Nurse to cover a Maternity Leav...23 days ago
- Oncology Nurse - South Dublin
Oncology Nurse Job in South Dublin Hospital. Work with the largest provider of cancer services in the country that provides world-class medical treatment. Job Title: S...25 days ago
- Staff Nurse - Medical Oncology Featured Job
One of Europe's leading hospitals is seeking Medical Oncology Staff Nurses for their growing Cancer Centre. Job Title: Staff Nurse - Medical Oncology Location: South D...26 days ago
- Acute Staff Nurse - Dublin City Centre North
Dublin City Centre North
Nursing jobs is all departments are available at a private hospital based in Dublin North. Job Title: Staff Nurse Jobs - All Departments Location: Dublin City Centre N...25 days ago
- Acute Staff Nurse - Dublin West Featured Job
€30,000 - 40,000 DOE
A private hospital in Lucan is looking for Acute Staff Nurses to join their front line Nursing team. The Staff Nurse will participate in providing comprehensive nursin...25 days ago